Sarkkarai Pongal is a mouth-lingering sweet prepared with the combination of Rice, Moong Dal and Jaggery on the festive eve of Pongal (Harvest Festival of Tamil Nadu). Traditionally, this dish is prepared in Earthern Pots/Brass Vessel. I hope you relish the flavour of this sweet.
Rice - 1cup
Moong Dal - 1/2 cup
Milk - 1 1/2 cup
Water - 1 1/2cup
Sugar - 4tsp
Cashewnuts, Dry raisins
Ghee - To fry raisins and cashews
Elachi for flavour
Turmeric Powder - A pinch
- Roast both rice and moong dal in a plain hot pan, till you get the aroma.
- Add both with milk and water into the cooker with a pinch of turmeric.
- Keep it in the flame till 4-5 whistles.
- Once the process gets complete, add elachi powder to the rice.
- In the meanwhile, transfer jaggery to a hot pan and add water (to the extent it gets submerged).
- Let the jaggery dissolve completely and boil. Now, filter the jaggery mixture so that tiny stones and dirt are removed.
- Add it to the hot pan again and leave it until it becomes thick.
- Add 4 tsp of Sugar to the jaggery mixture in order to enhance its taste.
- Now, mash the mixture that was kept in the cooker.
- Add the jaggery syrup to it.
- Fry raisins and cashews in the ghee & add it to the mixture.
- Mix thoroughly.
- "Sarkkaraipongal" is ready!
NOTE: The mixture will seem loose when you add jaggery to the pressure cooked rice and moong dal. Don't worry!! After a while , it will become thick. :)